The Brew House Association and Brew House Lofts are currently seeking proposals for a public artwork to exhibit in the Brew House Lobby Vitrine, located at 711 S. 21st Street in Pittsburgh, PA.
Artwork displays will be visible to the public for a period of approximately 5 months in late 2020 and early 2021. Artists may propose to create new work for the site, or install previously completed work.
Eligibility & Criteria
Artists working in any visual media that are based in the greater Pittsburgh area are eligible to apply. Artists are responsible for the delivery, installation, and deinstallation of the work.
Assembled artwork must not exceed vitrine dimensions of 75″ x 95″ x 89″ height. Door to enter is 36″ x 104″.
Applications will be reviewed on quality of previous work, strength of statement of interest and C.V./ Resume, clarity of concept, feasibility, and innovative use of the space. Proposals must be appropriate for all ages and suitable for diverse public audiences and visitors of the Brew House including current residents, potential tenants, visitors, and staff. Proposed artwork that responds to the physical site, the history and culture of the Brew House Lofts, or the South Side Neighborhood will be given extra consideration. Proposals that include organic material, emit strong odors, or are otherwise unhealthy to the immediate environment will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection panel comprised of employees of the Brew House Association, Brew House Lofts employees and residents, and local arts professionals.
Selected artist(s) will receive a $500 honorarium ($400 paid after artwork has been installed and approved by Brew House and $100 at deinstallation). Additional support for materials is not available. There is no fee to apply.
May 1, 2020: Deadline for receipt of applications
June 1, 2020: Accepted artists will be notified
July – November, 2020: First Installation Period
January – May, 2021: Second Installation Period
*Final Installation and deinstallation dates will be selected in conversation with selected artist(s).
All materials should be compiled into a single PDF for submission via email to email@example.com with the following criteria.
- Statement of Interest: a one page letter describing why you are interested in this project, a summary of your practice, and a brief description of your proposed design that includes context or other pertinent information not evident in the concept image samples
- Concept Image Samples: 1-3 Images that clearly describe the proposed design. These can be composite photos, hand drawings, photomontages, or any other visual language that renders a clear account of the idea to be realized. For email submissions, please label each file with the following format: “LastName_FirstName_Proposal_Image Number”
- Past Work Samples: Up to 5 images of past work that best serve as examples to support your proposal. Please label each file with the following format: “LastName_FirstName_Image Number”
- Artist Bio (2oo word max)
- Artist C.V. or Resume (3 page max)
Applications must be received by 5pm on Friday, May 1, 2020. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Early applications are encouraged.
Send any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-212-6650.